Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Fenris Update


Fenris Update

It has been to long that I have posted something about my Space Wolves. I have fallen into heresy with the new Daemon Primarchs. They are very strong, but I am setting out to bring the Space Wolves to the top tables.

I played in a local team event this past weekend were we took second place (thanks to John Moore carrying me on his back!) This was my list.

BN
HQ – Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield)
HQ – Rune Priest w/ Jump Pack (Rune Axe & Plasma Pistol)
TR – Intercessor Squad
TR – x2 Grey Hunter Squads (5 Man squads w/ 1 plasma gun in each)
FA – Thunderwolf Calvary (Storm Shields & Frost Claws)
HS – Hellblaster Squad

SCD
LoW – Guilliman
HQ – Celestine
HQ – x2 Primaris Psykers

AWD
FL – x3 Vulture Gunships (Heavy Bolter & Twin Punisher Cannon)

Overall I went 1-1-1.

Round 1 I played an admec list with a Knight, but just over powered it fairly easily. It was  a blood bath and we each killed a lot of units, but in the end, I had a major victory.

Round 2 I played Grey Knights with 5 Storm Ravens. We played on a table with zero line of sight blocking terrain and I did not really have a chance to even play.

Round 3 I went against a Magnus / Mortarion / Renegade Knight list that I took to a tie.

Now on to how my units did:

HQ – Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf (Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield)
·      Overall Score B+
·      Over this guy can hit like a tank. With 4 Attacks and 7 wounds he is a CC weapon that has to be dealt with.  Solid HQ choice with great mobility, and I will be using him in the future.

HQ – Rune Priest w/ Jump Pack (Rune Axe & Plasma Pistol)
·      Overall Score B-
·      The Space Wolf index psychic powers are not the greatest. Smite is always good, but nothing devastating or that useful after that. Giving him a jump pack to let him move around is critical. 3 attacks with the force axe is ok. I will continue to use him as well for smite and mobility.

TR – Intercessor Squad
·      Overall Score B+
·      I really enjoy these guys. 10 wounds and good weapon makes them a solid troop choice. With Chapter Approved possibly lowering their points, I will be using these guys in a bigger roll in my troop slot.

TR – Grey Hunter Squads (5 Man squads w/ 1 plasma gun in each)
·      Overall Score C
·      These guys are known as the “bread and butter” troops for the Wolves, but when compared to other army troop choices, they are ok. To me they did a job at holding objectives, but when targeted, they melted away. They will be taking a back seat to the Intercessors.

FA – Thunderwolf Calvary (Storm Shields & Frost Claws)
·      Overall Score C+
·      They are tough to kill and work as good protection for characters, but in CC they are not the same as they used to be. They are just too expensive for their output. Maybe they will get a point decrease, but until then I will not be using them very much.

HS – Hellblaster Squad
·      Overall Score B
·      These guys can put out a lot of damage. It is a good thing and a curse at the same time. If they are not singles out and destroyed, they do some major damage to what they shoot at.  They are a little expensive, but will continue to be a choice of mine in list building

LoW – Guilliman
·      Overall Score A
·      Just a solid choice for any list that can take him. His 12” re-roll 1s bubble makes him extremely useful in this list (not as good as if they were Ultra Marines). A beat stick in close combat. He will almost always be an auto include in my list until Russ comes back from the Warp.

HQ – Celestine
·      Overall Score A
·      Pound for Pound, she is the best unit in the Imperium to me. At only 150 points (not taking her bodyguards) she can move all over the board and can beat almost anything in CC. Will also be an auto include to any list.

HQ – Primaris Psykers
·      Overall Score B
·      No Malefic Lord, but still a good Smite jockey.  I will keep these guys in my back pocket if I need to fill a 40-point HQ slot, but not going to be my first choice.

FL – Vulture Gunships (Heavy Bolter & Twin Punisher Cannon)
·      Overall Score A
·      Wow! for 160 points I take these guys and deep strike them into the battle. Each one has a Heavy 40 Twin Punisher Cannon to destroy all of the troops that it wants. Not a perfect solution, but I feel that 3 of these guys will stay in my list for a long time.



I was happy playing this list and had some really good games. I will continue to make some adjustments to my list until we make the All Father proud.

Jarl Clem






No comments:

Post a Comment