Monday, August 6, 2018

Jarl Clem - Battle Report Wayward Kraken August 4, 2018


It has been way to long, but I was ashamed of my Heresy. Now I am getting back to battle reports since the Vlka Fenryka have returned to the table top. It does feel like playing 40k on hard mode…
                  This weekend we had a 14 player RTT at the Wayward Kraken in Biloxi, MS. The Best General himself Adam Abramowicz went 3-0 to win the Tournament and got best painted as well. Even though I went 1-2 finishing 9th with 49.63 ITC points, I had a great time.
My list:
·       Space Wolf Battalion
o   HQ – Wolf Lord on Bike w/ TH & SS
o   HQ – Rune Priest on Bike w/ Storm Bolter, Runic Axe, and Psychic Hood
o   TR – Grey Hunters x3
o   DT – Razorbacks w/ Twin Assault Cannons and Storm Bolters x3
·       Guard Battalion *Cadian*
o   HQ – Company Commander (WARLORD) Grand Strategist
o   HQ – Company Commander; Relic Kurov’s Aquila
o   TR – Infantry Squad w/ Lascannon x2
o   TR – Infantry Squad w/ Mortar
o   FA – Hellhounds w/ Heavy Bolter x2
o   HS – Earthshaker Batter x2
o   HS – Mortar Team
·       Super Heave Aux
o   Knight Crusader w/ Rapid Fire Battle Cannon, Gatling Cannon, and Ironstorm Missile Pod; Relic Armour of the Sainted Ion, Exalted Cohort trait: Ion Bulwark
Round 1:
                  Opponent: Christ “Pooka” Taylor. He was playing a solid Dark Eldar/Eldar list with Archons, Warriors, Revengers, Venoms, Wracks, Scourges, Talos, a Farseer, and Warlocks. As much as I was not looking forward to this match up, it was good practice for future GTs and Majors.
I went first and got first blood by killing some wracks with mortars out of line of sight. Then knocked off a few wounds on the Talos and Venoms, but nothing significant. Pooka then administered a thorough butt whooping over the next 3 turns. Doom + Jinx on the Knight took it down on turn 1, and I couldn’t do enough damage on everything else to make a difference. My Wolf Lord and Rune Priest did kill his Warlord…Loss 2-9
                  Lessons learned:
1.     Even with a 2+/3++ Save on a Knight, if it has Doom and Jinx on it, trouble is coming. Must protect it as much as possible. Ravengers have to be target priority since they can push out mortal wounds with Haywire. Anything with Dark Lances are next that need to die.
2.     Scourges are troop killers. Each one has a d6 flamer… stay back!
3.     Talos are tough as nails and can do a lot of damage. They can even get +1 toughness with a character (do not remember the name) within 6”
Round 2:
                  Nick St Amour and his 2 Vortex Missile Batteries and Cerberus tank. Thankfully it was a quick game, since there was no tactics or interaction between us due to the mission and his list. I got first blood, and the game ended on turn 5, he was holding 1 objective and I had none…Loss 3-1.
                  Lessons learned:
1.     None…
Round 3:
                  Third and final round was against Carl Short and his Tau which included 2 Riptides, 3 Broadsides, and 1 Commander. It was a slug fest in shooting, and since I went first, I got the advantage. After turn three we called it when he had nothing that could handle my knight. Win 19-5
                  Lessons learned:
1.     Tau shooting is good, but a 2+/3++ Knight really makes them invest firepower and leaves other models open to do some good work.
2.     Commander with fusion blasters still scare me the most.
Recap:
·       Looking at my rounds I had 1 real match that I can use improve on. The match against Pooka’s Eldar and Dark Eldar has me very concerned on how I can beat it. I have to make sure I protect my knight. The longer she is in the fight the better my chances are.

·       MVP unit: Knight Crusader is a BOSS. My opponent must deal with her, and if she gets a few turns of shooting then she is hard to overpower as units are killed off.

·       Worst unit: The sad Grey Hunters were worthless… they did nothing but die
This coming weekend will be a Major event in Atlanta. The Route will be in force, and hopefully the few lessons I learned this past weekend will help me out.

Jarl Clem

No comments:

Post a Comment