Thursday, September 21, 2017

Come the Apocalypes 2017 Battle Report





Come the Apocalypse Grand Tournament Battle Report – 21 September 2017

Today I am going to go over this past weekend’s back road adventure to Enterprise, AL for an awesome GT! First off I would like to say thank you to Robert Chandler for his organization and judging of the event, and Fanatix – Enterprise for letting us take over their shop with 4x6 table tops. The event was right at 30 players and five round which made the place crowded, but not to the point of being uncomfortable.

Overall Winner: Mark Perry
                   
Mark went 4-1 on the weekend with his only lost was in the first round to Mark Wilkens (who would go on to the final round undefeated himself). He ended tied for second in the event, but with his max painting score, pulled him into first place overall. 

Best General: Michael Lee
                 
 Going 5-0 on the weekend, his Grey Knights and assassins made a nasty combo that took advantage of character targeting rules. A solid list that coming in on paper was the “hardest list to beat”.

Best Painting: Doug Kus

Doug as usual had an awesome toxic Nurgle themed black legion army.
 I went 3-2 this weekend, I will say my strength of schedule was the highest for any player at the event. Losing my two games to 1st and 2nd place is never fun, but you only get better if you play the best.



This weekend I brought my Daemons / Renegades list:
       
      Magnus
      Changeling
x5 Malefic Lords
x3 Daemon Princes
x6 Brimstones
x6 Heavy Quad Launcher Battery
Smite spam / 6 4d6 guns / 4++ Saves / Magnus: Together make this list a threat in every phase of the battle.

Round 1 – Major Victory

As usual… Warboss Hinkel and I had to play each other. The Powers of Tzeentch proved too much for Papa Nurgle. He has a very resilient list, but nothing over the top that can deal with all of my mortal wounds. I will say that he did kill Magnus with his Helbrutes. Each lascannon wound rolled a 6. Next time we meet across the table from each other I will have to deal with Mortarion…

Round 2 – Major Loss

This was my weakest round for the mission. I have 30 KPs, which already put me at a disadvantage, and I went against Michael Lee’s Grey Knights and assassins. I honestly do not think I could have a worst match-up. First turn, deep strike 4 Grand Masters in dread knights and 3 Culexus Assassins. 3 of 4 of the Grand Masters made their first turn charge. It was a lost battle from the first turn. Character targeting is his defense that I could not get around. My artillery could not take out the Culexus assassins to get my mind bullets back up and running, and 4 Grand Masters were just too much.

Round 3 – Major Victory

I feel like a jerk, but I cannot remember his name. He was playing Craftworlds. Frist turn he flew his 3 Hemlocks to about 2 inches from Magnus, and did about 8 wounds to him, but on the bottom of the turn, I destroyed all three. From there I was able to take out the rest of his army.

Round 4 – Major Victory

I played against Jason Watts who was running an Ultra Marine / Custodian list. With the mission and deployment map, I was able to capitalize on terrain and his movement across the board. My artillery was able to take out all his SM units that were holding objectives and with all the smites and Magnus, the Custodes and Guilliman couldn’t survive. Highlight was G-Daddy charging Magnus, caused 6 wounds… I saved them all, then caused 6 wounds on G-Daddy. Failed 3 saves, 9 damage dead.

Round 5 – Minor Loss

Had to play Carter in the last round. Relic mission against the most mobile army there… yay. Great game that made me think since soul burst is a thing. At the end of the game he still won with only 3 models left. But hey just get the relic and go hide lets that happen.
Overall I am very happy with my list. The only change that I want to make is to drop 2 Quad Launchers for 2 Earthshaker Cannons. This will ensure that I can hit the entire board… no more hiding the relic form me Carter. 

Jarl Clem

4 comments:

  1. The Dreadknights and Assassins tore through the Gulf Coast crowd. Such a mean list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure did. First time we had seen it. Good though that next time I feel I will be more prepared.

      Delete
  2. The guy with the 3 Hemlocks was Anthony Stelluto

    ReplyDelete